Meet our professional Consultants
Florida Eye Clinic was founded in 2010 by Dr Stephen C. Ume, MD. Dr Ume graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles with a Bachelor of Science degree in microbiology and molecular genetics.
He continued his education at the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, Ann Arbor and at the Finch University of Health Sciences/Chicago Medical School, Chicago where he graduated alpha omega alpha honors with Masters in Applied Physiology and a joint Doctorate of Medicine and Masters of Science degree with emphasis in Pathology.
Before founding Florida Eye Clinic, Dr Ume completed his internship and ophthalmology residency at Henry Ford Health Systems, Michigan and clinical glaucoma fellowship at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is the number one ranked eye hospital, by the US News and World Report He has participated in many presentations and teachings around the world including the United states, India and Nigeria and published in ophthalmology academic journals.
Publications and Presentations
Scanning Laser Polarimetry with Enhanced Corneal Compensation and Optical Coherence Tomography in Normal and Glaucomatous Eyes. Mitra Sehi, Stephen Ume, David S. Greenfield, and Advanced Imaging in Glaucoma Study Group. IOVS 2007 48: 2099-2104.
Structural Assessments Using Scanning Laser Polarimetry with Enhanced Corneal Compensation, Optical Coherence Tomography, and Heidelberg Retina Tomography in Normal and Glaucomatous Eyes. Stephen Ume, Mitra Sehi, David Greenfield. ARVO annual meeting, Ft Lauderdale, FL. 2006
Angiotensin II and Diabetic Retinal Leukostasis. Ping Chen, Stephen Ume, et al. Am. Soc. for Invest. Pathol. San Diego, CA 2003
Honors, Awards and Achievements
• Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honors, Chicago Medical School, 2001
• Dean’s Award for Academics/ Community Service, Chicago Medical School, 2001
• Lakewood Medical Center Foundation Scholarship, 1998-2000
• Internal Medicine Interest Group Award of Excellence, 1999
• Honors Award, Pathology, Chicago Medical School, 1999
• California State House of Assembly Certificate of Recognition in Medicine, 1998
• Pediatric Research and The American Pediatric Society Fellowship, 1998
• The Chicago Medical School Summer Research Fellowship, 1998
• Dean’s Academic Achievement Award, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, 1995
• Golden Key and Alpha gamma Sigma National Honors Society
• Glaucoma Consultant, Care for Sight Foundation, Erode, India, May 2009
• Principal Ophthalmologist, Goodwill and Mercy Foundation medical mission to Nigeria, 2004
• Participant, The United States Congressional Glaucoma Caucus Foundation community eye screenings, Michigan, 2004
• Instructor, Diabetic Ocular Complications Workshop, Henry Ford Health Systems, 2004
• Participant, glaucoma screening, African American Initiative for Male Health Improvement, Henry Ford Health Systems, Michigan, 1991-2001
• Keynote Speaker, Nigeria Optometric Associations (National, Lagos Branch), 2010, 2011
• Consultant Ophthalmologist and Surgeon, various outreach eye camps, Nigeria
• American Academy of Ophthalmology
• American Medical Association
• American Society of Refractive and Cataract Surgeons
• Florida Ophthalmology Society
Dr Anene Chukwuemeka I. (OD) heads the optometry department. He is an experienced optometrist with broad knowledge in the eye examination and management of ocular conditions. Along with clinical duties, Dr Anene is responsible for training young Optometrists during clinical internship. He has interest in children’s eye health, primary eye care and public health.
Dr Anene Chukwuemeka I. obtained a Doctor of Optometry (OD) degree from the Abia State University, Uturu in 2005 where he graduated as the best graduating student in the department of optometry and the college of medicine and basic health sciences for his set.
He is presently undergoing fellowship training in paediatric Optometry towards an award of a fellow of the Nigerian college of Optometrists (NCO) in paediatricoptometry.
Dr. Anene Chukwuemeka is a devout Christian and a social justice advocate. He is married with three children.
- Best graduating student, Department of Optometry, Abia State University Uturu; 2005
- Best graduating student; College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Abia State University Uturu, 2005.
co-author, “Refractive Error Patterns at a community Eye Hospital in South West of Nigeria”; Researchgate.net, May 2018.Bogunjoko et al (2018)
- intern Optometrist, Perfection Eye care centre, Kaduna; 2006
- Principal Optometrist, ERCC Medical Services, Alushi, Nasarawa state; 2007-2009
- Principal Optometrist, Eye Foundation Hospital Lagos and Ijebu-Ode; 2010-2011
- Volunteer Optometrist, Pro-Health International (PHI) organised medical outreaches across Nigeria; 2007-2010.
ORGANISATIONS AND AFFLIATONS
- Nigerian Optometrists Association (NOA)
- Nigerian College of Optometrists (NCO); Faculty of Paediatric Optometry