Meet our professional Consultants
Florida Eye Clinic was founded in 2010 by Dr Stephen C. Ume, MD. Dr Ume graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles with a Bachelor of Science degree in microbiology and molecular genetics.
He continued his education at the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, Ann Arbor and at the Finch University of Health Sciences/Chicago Medical School, Chicago where he graduated alpha omega alpha honors with Masters in Applied Physiology and a joint Doctorate of Medicine and Masters of Science degree with emphasis in Pathology.
Before founding Florida Eye Clinic, Dr Ume completed his internship and ophthalmology residency at Henry Ford Health Systems, Michigan and clinical glaucoma fellowship at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is the number one ranked eye hospital, by the US News and World Report He has participated in many presentations and teachings around the world including the United states, India and Nigeria and published in ophthalmology academic journals.
Publications and Presentations
Scanning Laser Polarimetry with Enhanced Corneal Compensation and Optical Coherence Tomography in Normal and Glaucomatous Eyes. Mitra Sehi, Stephen Ume, David S. Greenfield, and Advanced Imaging in Glaucoma Study Group. IOVS 2007 48: 2099-2104.
Structural Assessments Using Scanning Laser Polarimetry with Enhanced Corneal Compensation, Optical Coherence Tomography, and Heidelberg Retina Tomography in Normal and Glaucomatous Eyes. Stephen Ume, Mitra Sehi, David Greenfield. ARVO annual meeting, Ft Lauderdale, FL. 2006
Angiotensin II and Diabetic Retinal Leukostasis. Ping Chen, Stephen Ume, et al. Am. Soc. for Invest. Pathol. San Diego, CA 2003
Honors, Awards and Achievements
• Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honors, Chicago Medical School, 2001
• Dean’s Award for Academics/ Community Service, Chicago Medical School, 2001
• Lakewood Medical Center Foundation Scholarship, 1998-2000
• Internal Medicine Interest Group Award of Excellence, 1999
• Honors Award, Pathology, Chicago Medical School, 1999
• California State House of Assembly Certificate of Recognition in Medicine, 1998
• Pediatric Research and The American Pediatric Society Fellowship, 1998
• The Chicago Medical School Summer Research Fellowship, 1998
• Dean’s Academic Achievement Award, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, 1995
• Golden Key and Alpha gamma Sigma National Honors Society
• Glaucoma Consultant, Care for Sight Foundation, Erode, India, May 2009
• Principal Ophthalmologist, Goodwill and Mercy Foundation medical mission to Nigeria, 2004
• Participant, The United States Congressional Glaucoma Caucus Foundation community eye screenings, Michigan, 2004
• Instructor, Diabetic Ocular Complications Workshop, Henry Ford Health Systems, 2004
• Participant, glaucoma screening, African American Initiative for Male Health Improvement, Henry Ford Health Systems, Michigan, 1991-2001
• Keynote Speaker, Nigeria Optometric Associations (National, Lagos Branch), 2010, 2011
• Consultant Ophthalmologist and Surgeon, various outreach eye camps, Nigeria
• American Academy of Ophthalmology
• American Medical Association
• American Society of Refractive and Cataract Surgeons
• Florida Ophthalmology Society
Justin is a selfless and dependable Human. He is an extremely competent, dedicated, and well-organized health professional and a REGISTERED AND LICENSED OPTOMETRIST. He holds a Doctors Degree in Optometry coupled with various professional and personal development certifications. He has over 7 years of experience working to eliminate avoidable blindness in Nigeria.
He has formulated, developed, and organized several healthcare projects tailored towards children and vulnerable individuals in urban, peri-urban, and rural communities in the elimination of avoidable blindness. He renders specialized consultative services for partnering private and public healthcare organizations in providing preventive, curative, and rehabilitative interventions aimed at improving the quality of life of individuals affected with the burden of blindness.
He has a passion for quality delivery of affordable and accessible eye health and healthcare services coupled with a consistent track record of surpassing standards and set goals. Displays commitment to excellence and strives to expand professional knowledge and responsibilities. He has excellent Leadership, interpersonal, communication, and innovative planning skills coupled with the capacity to build and maintain lasting relationships with a diverse group of individuals and enjoys working within a team environment together with the challenge of carrying through individual tasks. He is committed to ensuring that, through better eyeSight, everyone lives healthier lives. He loves Playing the Piano, chess, and enjoys listening to classical and contemporary music.
Dr IRIELE JULIET TOCHI is a graduate of Optometry from Madonna University Elele Campus river state. She also did a course in Project Management, Safety officer and Human resource management.
She has worked as a professional Optometrist for 6yrs and would love to continue after many more years. Her drive is the love and the satisfaction she gets from her Patient after consulting with them at the clinic.
She’s from Orlu local govt area of Imo state and from a God fearing home. Presently, Dr Juliet Iriele is one of the Optometrists working at Florida Eye Clinic, and managing the branch at minna Niger state Nigeria…..
Dr. Nkuma Eke is a Professional Optometrist who earned his professional Degree in flying colors from the renowned Federal University of Technology Owerri. He is currently practicing in the Federal Capital Territory Abuja, with Florida Eye Clinic. He is friendly, reliable and has excellent interpersonal communication skills. He has the capacity for teamwork and great research skills. He is desirous of solving global health challenges, particularly as it concerns his home country Nigeria.
He is passionate about Public Health concerns and Clinical Optometry which has taken him to various regions in Northern Nigeria to aid in the fight against preventable blindness. In the course of his volunteer services; he has worked with the Right to Sight Foundation, Mezu Foundation, Save the child initiative, the Rotary club of Nigeria, amongst others. He also takes up mentoring of Younger Optometrists in Nigeria and has been recognized by the Nigerian Optometric Association for his efforts.
He is stable, of a sound mind and has unquestionable moral disposition. He has great potential with a burning desire to lead and learn. He is meticulous, innovative and easily connects with others. He is capable of independent thoughts and willing to accept challenges and take initiative.